cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobillity Anchors - Guest Internet - CONFUSED

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Ok, so I've read the documentation but only seems to hold half the answer to half the equation. Scenerio, I have Network A with WLC A, all of my AP's going to WLC A, wether they are in Network A or B. In Network B, I have WLC B where nothing is currently attached. The only thing I need currently in Network B is my Guest VLAN. From my understanding, I can take the Guest VLAN and created a SSID GUEST on WLC B, set it's mobility Anchor as it's self then go back to WLC A, create the WLAN GUEST there as well and set the mobility anchor to be WLC B, is that correct? What do I use for the interface on the Guest WLAN in Network A since my vlan isn't over there? Do I have to create a whole new VLAN in Network A just for that? Does the Guest WLAN in Network A need a DHCP server on it? I thought I had this setup and when I went to test it out, it just didn't go anywhere. Can somebody give me a run down please?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Raun,

Your understanding of guest anchor is correct. Only thing you have to do now is create an interface on Controller A also and configure some subnet address there with some vlan number and map it to your GUEST SSID.

It is mandatory to map your SSID/WLN to some interface. Also you do not need a DHCP on controller A becaue your clients will get an ip address from interface subnet you have configured on controller B because controller B is your anchor controller.

Please come back if you any doubts.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

I am trying to take this a step further by having my controller B in our DMZ. Does the interface/vlan have to be the same on controller A and B in order for the guest access to work? Would the DHCP scope on controller B end up being the actual ip addresses for the vlan on controller A?

Thanks

Hi Daniel,

No they should not be same. The real concept of guest anchor is that Anchor and Foreign controller are in different subnet/vlan.

Yes the DHCP scope of controller B will provide the actual ip address to the clients on controller A if WLAN on controller B is configured as Anchor and WLAN on controller A is configured as Foreign.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/control/c44/ccfig42/c42mobil.htm#wp1098994

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: