I have a project in hand to implement 802.1x for wired networks. Whenever a PC gets connected to the LAN switch, it
should get authenticated at Layer 2 and then it should be authorised to access LAN. The components involved in this
project will be access layer switches( 4500,2950,3560), the client workstations running Windows XP and Cisco ACS
server for authentication.
I have the following doubts on this setup,
1) In 802.1x how the authentication takes place ...( mac,password, certificates...?)
2) What are the various protocols involved in this?
3) How reliable is this when we implement this on 3000 nodes network.?
4) If the ACS server goes down, how the network will react - will any machine be able to connect or not?
5) What are the different methods other than 802.1x, which can serve the requirement.
Also it would be great if anyone can give any documents/useful links for the configuration of the switch/ACS, or
some general document which throws some light on the technologies involved in this