cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design problem- Enterprise Campus

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

According to CCNP BSCI(Cisco Press page 18) each server should connected with two switches for redundancy. That means each server must have at least two ethernet adapters.That means two IPs.

As i can understand if a client wants to connect to a server must put ip or name. If one link is down then the client must use other domain name or IP. So by using this desing we use cables and adapters only in case if one link is down . And even though we have to inform our clients to use a different domain name.

-Is there is a way to use both links and have load balance.

- Is there is a way to use a single domain name with two or more ips.

Thanks

moses

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Moses

You need to visit the web site of the NIC vendor or you can go to the OS vendor's site eg. on Windows it's called "teaming" so if you did a search for that on the microsoft site you should get some config examples.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Moses

Two ethernet adapters does not necessarily means two IP addresses. A quite common setup is to use one IP address for both Nic's, then if the active card fails the secondary card takes over that IP address. So there is no need to update DNS etc.

You can use both adapters in fault-tolerant mode ie. only one is active at any one time which is what we use where i work or you can use both NIC's at the same time for load-balancing. I have never used them in this option.

The other way to do it is give each adapter a different IP address but then you need some sort of intelligent DNS that knows when one of IP addresses has failed and directs users to the second IP address.

HTH

Jon

Thanks jon for your information. How can i configure two nics with one ip .

Thanks again

moses

Moses

You need to visit the web site of the NIC vendor or you can go to the OS vendor's site eg. on Windows it's called "teaming" so if you did a search for that on the microsoft site you should get some config examples.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card