cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Routers same svi question

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I see this config and am wondering if this is an incorrect configuration.

I have 2 x layer 3 switches connected together via a trunk. Both of these switches have:

"Int vlan 200" setup with different IP addresses on the same segment/subnet

Is it ok to have these svi's setup like this? I'm asking this mainly becasue I am fiddling with an eWan config.

I'm used to have a single svi setup on a single router and that being the default gateway for that svi vlan.

Can someone please advise?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it's ok to have two switches using the same SVI with different IP address. Usually, that's done when configuring the management interface on your switches. You can have all switches using Vlan200 (common subnet) and that Vlan would be your management IP, not to be used for clients.

You can also have the clients use that IP address as default gateway, I don't see a problem with that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

why dont you copy and paste the 2 configs so we can see what youre talking about?

Thanks

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it's ok to have two switches using the same SVI with different IP address. Usually, that's done when configuring the management interface on your switches. You can have all switches using Vlan200 (common subnet) and that Vlan would be your management IP, not to be used for clients.

You can also have the clients use that IP address as default gateway, I don't see a problem with that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: