Views
Helpful
Replies

How to redirect traffic to a proxy server from 1841

assyrian1981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering how can i redirect traffic for http from 1841 cisco router to my proxy server for web filtering please ?

Thanks,

Simon

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can make your proxy as the default gateway for your local lan with Natting and filtering enabled on it .

else you can make use of proxy ip address on IE and use the same for browsing.If you are planning for this option then make sure that you are natting the proxy ip alone instead of the whole lan subnet.

regds

Thanks for the reply,

So there is no way of forwarding the http traffic towards the proxy server from the router?

currently i have specified a group policy and i wanna avoid doing that.

hi

AFAIK you can either have a cache engine placed and configure your router with WCCP so that all the web requests can be forwarded to the cache engine.

Else a pix with url filtering configured in conjunction with websense can be used to filter the urls being accessed from the local lan.

regds

autobot130
Level 1
Level 1

Actually, there is WCCP in IOS.

Look for WCCP web-cache commands in your router.

Benefits

Web caches optimizes transmissions costs and the amount of time required to download web files. If a client requests a web page that is already cached, the request and data only have to travel between the Cache Engine and the client. Without a web cache, the request and reply must travel over the Internet or wide-area network. Cached pages can be loaded faster than non-cached pages and do not have to be transmitted from the Internet to your network.

Cisco IOS support of WCCP provides a transparent web cache solution. With WCCP, the clients send web requests to the desired web server URL. Cisco IOS routers intelligently intercept HTTP requests and transparently redirect them to a Cache Engine.

Redirection Process

When a WCCP-enabled router receives an IP packet, the router determines if the packet is a request that should be directed to a Cache Engine. The router looks for TCP as the protocol field in the IP header and for 80 as the destination port in the TCP header. If the packet meets these criteria, it is redirected to a Cache Engine. Through communication with the Cache Engines, the routers running WCCP are aware of available cache engines.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card