Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 and 5.8G solid dish 3 miles?

dkdaniels48
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I'm in Iraq and I was using the "B" side on at 3 miles away with a solid dish "AIR-ANT3338" and was getting 2meg down on by bandwidth and now I'm lucky to get 400K. I have one root hub and 4 non root hubs linking to it with no more than 6 users at each shot. I've replaced the Root hub checked the cable and so on. The Army Camp has grown like you wouldn't believe with everyone using 2.4G so I want to move to "A" side 5G. Do you know if the "AIR-ANT58G28SDA-N will work with the 1242 and if not what is everyone else using? It's hard to find information when you're in Iraq and I never know where my equipment is purchased from.

Many Thanks

DK

3 Replies 3

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

The 1242 has rp-tnc connectors while the AIR-ANT58G28SDA-N has an N connector. you will need to get a converter to go from N to rp-tnc. Without seeing the antenna, I would guess that you would need a converter with a male "N" and a female "rp-tnc". There will be some minor loss with the adapter. The AIR-ANT58G28SDA-N is designed for the 1400 series, but contact TAC and ask for sure if it will work with the 1242 series.

This config would work but why do you suspect you had such a radical drop in bandwidth. My suspicion is either interference or polarity.

D

sorvarit
Level 1
Level 1

Your dish antenna is a 21dBi model and like another has suggested its more likely you have some sort of interference. Tried another channel? We run a 2,4GHz link with a 10dBi omni on the root (Aironet 1231G) and gets 36Mbps link with a 18dBi dish 5Km away on the client side (Aironet BR1310).

Are the cable runs to the antennas long? Check this out:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/coax/coax-environmental.php

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card