cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 Switch layer3

rasoftware
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone confirm whether the 2960 has layer 3 routing capability? I'm considering these instead of 2950 as they seems to be end of life now,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

3560 switch will work as DHCP server same as 3550 so you need to worry about the same. It will work fine as per your requirement.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Layer 2 only .

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Cisco layer 3 switch category starts from 3550 models. 2960 is a pure layer 2 switch.

You can go for 3560 instead which will give you layer 3 capability.

HTH

Ankur

Hi thanks. What I want is a 3560 as layer 3 and about 8 x 2960 as layer 2s. I assume base LAN OS for the 2960 and SMI for the layer 3 will allow me to have vlan database across all switches (as with 2950/3550) and use the layer 3 (3560) as gateway/dhcp?

can you also confirm 3560 has dhcp server still - same as 3550?

Hi Friend,

Yes if this is just your requirement SMI image will work on 3560 but if you are looking for some advance routing protocols like ospf, egrp and bgp and some other davance functionality like QOS you have to get EMI image.

But if your requirement is to have routing between vlans and switch working as DHCP server it will work fine and you can also have static routes and default routes configured on this switch with ski image with basic routing protocol like RIP.

HTH

Ankur

Yes basically I have a office which has a 3560 plugged ito my shared firewall. I define VLAns on here which I want available on each of the 2960. I also provide DHCP from the 3560. Thats all the functionality I need. Each client on the various VLANS gets a gateway in the 3560 via dhcp and the local client plug into their VLAN on each switch. 3560 handles the routing and out to the firewall. Is essentially a shared internet service. Just wanted to check nothing had changed with the later switches.

Hi Friend,

3560 switch will work as DHCP server same as 3550 so you need to worry about the same. It will work fine as per your requirement.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: