cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Keeping a Meet-me Conference Alive

todd.g.eppich
Level 1
Level 1

Can a Meet-me conference be kept alive by an off-net participant?

I've got an end device attached to a 4-wire E&M port on a channel bank that is trunked to a 3825 router via an E-1. I need this device to keep the Meet-me conference alive to free up DNs on a VoIP phone on the Call Manager cluster. The device can participate in the conference, but as soon as I drop the IP phone that called the E&M port, everything drops.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

You can select the maximum number of participants allowed in a single Unicast Meet-Me Conference. This value depends on the capabilities of the software/hardware conference bridge; for example, a Cisco CallManager Software Conference Bridge conferences a maximum of 128 participants. This amount of participants can cause performance degradation on a Cisco CallManager that runs on the same server. If you need that many participants at the same time, install the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application on a separate server. The default number of participants Cisco CallManager specifies is 48.

tdilley2
Level 1
Level 1

I just read this about Meet-Me Conference...

A conference continues even if the conference controller hangs up.

At this link - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803edae2.html#wp1022209

I'm a little confused about your question though because if it's a Meet-Me conference shouldn't the end device be dialing into the Meet-Me number rather than the IP phone calling that E&M port? I think if you start the Meet-Me call using the IP phone and then at least 1 other caller dials into the bridge then the original phone that started the Meet-Me conference bridge should be able to hang up and the bridge should stay active.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the input. I was bothered because I had read the same statement and expected ANY participant to be able to connect and keep the conference up. For some reason, if I dropped the IP phone that called the E&M port, the whole session dropped. I don't know what was wrong other than I had forgotten to bind the H323 interface.

Since posting, we bound the H323 interface and added a connection trunk command on the voice port to automatically bring in the device on the E&M port to a pre-existing MeetMe. We also ran into some glare and switched from E&M Immediate start to wink start. The E&M participant now keeps the MeetMe alive, too, as I had expected. All is well in my voip land for now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: