Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Related (Default Route)

CSCO10758684
Level 1
Level 1

Hai all,

One of my customer is facing the problem that they are not able to open few web sites.Service provider is giving full BGP to the customer.As per SP,The peering Provider is advertizing these routes with NO-Export community Tags.Service provider is insisting customer to go for Default route.....

Does this solve the issue ..What does the Term Default Route does in BGP

Sorry to ask the very basic quiestion ... pls help me regarding this

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On one of the websites that can not be opened, is that network in the routing table? The default route will simplify your local routing table. At that point they would probably stop advertising the whole BGP table to you. It will have a 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 route pointing to the ISP. It's just like your default route in your internal network.

HTH and please rate.

gaurav_thapar79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Firstly, please check output of "show ip route x.x.x.x" (x stands for web-site ip address) and if its not available in your gateway router that means your BGP is learning this prefix via peer.

Try to add a static route for this prefix towards your BGP peering ip. This would provide a return path for any traffic destined towards x.x.x.x.

It is as good as using default-route routing table.

when u are 100% sure about ur roouting u can try the following:

try browsing these websites using an IP address instead of URL...the u will know if issue is DNS related or not.

The other things is to increase your MTU slightly ...some sites need more than 1500Bytes. I usually use 1546 (specially if MPLS is used).

HTH

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card