cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum PoE 802.3af distance 15.4W

jpsenior_bell
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a new wiring project coming up shortly that may tax the limits of cat5e standards.

I am having trouble locating documentation that says what a theoretical maximum distance for a 802.3af class 3 device will be.

Has anyone run into problems with voltage loss over long distances? Will I be OK as long as the wire passes a fluke cat5e test?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi JP,

The standard 100m ethernet rules (90m drop + 10m patch/cross connect) still apply here. If the cables fall within this standard and pass the testing with good results you should be good to go.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi JP,

The standard 100m ethernet rules (90m drop + 10m patch/cross connect) still apply here. If the cables fall within this standard and pass the testing with good results you should be good to go.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you for your swift reply, Rob

Hi I have a similar problem on a new build with Category 6 cabling. I have some cables which are just over 100m and I have tested them to a ISO Class E standard which is what the manufacturer states, they pass with no problem. The manufacturer will issue a warranty for the cabling but the client (NHS) has asked if there would be an issue for their Cisco wifi and telephones. Is there any white papers or documentation on any Cisco testing that has been done?

regards Garren