Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.3at Power over ethernet

we want to replace our old prestandard cat 3524 poe switches, but with the release of the new AP1250 that require 802.3at power we want to hold off until Cisco release an 802.3at switch

anybody any idea when cisco will release such a switch

8 Replies 8

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Cisco already have these switches in its product line since long. The current starting switch which supports 802.3af is 3560 switches which also provides you layer 3 functionality.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

He's asking about PoE Plus - ieee 802.3at (not .af).

The 1250 doesn't *require* 802.3at. In fact, with 2 radios, it only requires a little more power (~18W) than .af provides. Cisco will be modifying, via software, the max per-port output to satisfy the 1250's requirements. This has been confirmed for the E series cat 3650 and 3750 switches and will probably wind up on the non-E series boxes. We should also see it on the cat 4500 and the cat 6500. The extra output will change your power budget but we'll have to wat for release notes for exact figures.

Greetings,

Could someone from Cisco comment on this and provide some kind of timeline when we can expect 802.3at features from the 3750 switches?

TIA

They are available now in 3560E and 3750E

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2008/prod_012308.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi,

Needing an answer to this question, I went diggin into the specificationf for the 3750 E series switch.

Here is a link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/hardware/installation/guide/HIGSPEC.html#wpmkr1037027

Imagine my shock when I noted that the maximum power configuration emits more than 3500 BTUs.

If the 3750G series POE switches are upgradable to "ePOE" or 802.3at, what kind of power consumptions and heating effects will we see for a similar maximum power configuration?

TIA

Charlie

The information given on the link you posted are reflecting ePoE option, which is standard on 3750E and 3560E.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi Edison,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

So, what is the plan for the switches which I have (3750G-48 PS)? Will they be able to fully power the 1252 APs in 802.11n mode? What will the modification require (software or hardware)? What will the heating effect of these switches be when/if they are powering the 1252 APs in N mode?

They won't be able to support ePoE. If you need ePoE, you need to purchase the 'E' model. The battery that comes with those models is very different and actually protrudes in the rear of the chassis.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card