Views
Helpful
Replies

interface mismatch

csc010854800
Level 1
Level 1

i have a etherdrop between two routers.

one interface is fastethernet and other is gigabitethernet . i tried to hardcore the duplex setting and speed 100 but as it is taking only half-duplex due to which i am getting collisions and output drops.

Output::::215 output errors, 124 collisions, 214 interface resets

interface FastEthernet0/1

description *** P2P 6MB to Netmagic via Airtel ***

bandwidth 16000

ip address 172.16.1.9 255.255.255.252

ip route-cache flow

duplex auto

speed 100

no cdp enable

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

whts the TDM end point here in your location ?

are you connecting this ethernet port to a mux placed in your location?

or is it a ethernet drop from the SP end if its an ethernet drop from the sp end do check up with the SP whether the same settings has been replicated/configured on their devices as well..

regds

HI,

I agree with spremkumar.

If your ethernet is connected to Mux means possibility of duplex : full & speed: 100

(or) duplex: half & speed : 10

Best regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi,

ethernet is connected to MUX placed at our end and i have checked with SP,he is saying he is getting full duplex.Also , i am not able to put gigabit interface in full duplex.

if i tried then it goed down , so we have to put it into auto duplex.

and yes speed is 100 on both the ends.

are you sure on the part that the mux interface supports full duplex ?

i dont think your mux ethernet port supports it.

can you check the datastheets or supporting doc of your mux for the duplex limitations.

since you have only 6Mbps can you try connecting the same onto a ethernet port which can support hardcoding of duplex settings.

do explore on how to change the duplex on the mux port.

regds

Hi

as you have mentioned that you hardcoded the duplex settings (but its showing as "auto" in the interface config you have pasted, i hope you have changed it to "auto" once the hardcoded "full duplex" didnt work)) and SP is saying that it is getting "full duplex" negotiated (but not hardcoded) at his end.

I would definately recommend you that if you are going to hardcode the speed & duplex settings then hardcode it to "full duplex" at both ends rather than "auto" at SP end and you making it "full duplex" at your end.

once its full duplex on both ends then clear the counters and check for the errors on the interface.

If you are NOT facing the similar problem on your giginterface then let it be as auto duplex on the both ends and check the duplex it negotiate with other end.

HTH

rgds

In my experience if you hard code speed then duplex will not negotiate (negotiation of duplex is dependent on negotiation of speed). And if duplex is not negotiated then the default is to do half duplex. If you are going to code speed then code duplex.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi

Also the solution I have mentioned to hardcode the duplex at both ends is from my experience only.

As Rick suggested from his expereince that if speed is set then duplex wonnt be negotiated.

I agree with this as I think when we say auto-negotiation, we talk about both speed and duplex and if we set speed as manual that means autonegotiation is off and duplex wonnt be negotiated so set to default i.e. "half duplex"

I hope I got this explanation correct.

I got this interested link which clearly tell what to do and not to do with duplex and speed setting. It consider desktop NIC and cisco catalyst switch for reference and I hope it will be applied to OTHER NETWORK DEVICES ALSO WHICH SUPPORT AUTONEGOTIATION STANDARD(IEEE 802.3u)

"i made the previous statement in capitals as this what i think, correct me if i am wrong with above statement":)

it also explain why your giginterface goes down when you try to hardcode the duplex only at your end, it says:- combination of "auto" and "hardcode" on two connected device's giginterface will make the interface go down..

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html#gig_aut_neg

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: