Maximum VLANs supported locally : 254

Number of existing VLANs : 11

VTP Operating Mode : Client

VTP Domain Name : Sam

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Enabled

VTP Traps Generation : Enabled

MD5 digest : 0xD5 0x7C 0xAD 0x0F 0x03 0x08 0x42 0xEE

But when I do show run or show config, I don't see where the vtp commands were issued. by default switches are transparent.

any idea?

7 Replies 7

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

VLAN info anc configurations are stored in a seperate file called vlan.dat.Theese configurations are not stored in running config.

thank you.

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

Yes, Configurations is different from VTP Configuration.

You will not be able to see any of the VTP Configurations in the running - config

VTP and VLAN configurations are stored in vlan.dat file.

"VTP Operating Mode : Client" ==> This is the VTP Status of the Switch over which the command was issued.

DO RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thank you Guru. that was very helpful.

alessandroye
Level 1
Level 1

First,the VTP mode on a switch is server by default.

Second, on the MLS switch like Catalyst 3550 or above, if the vlan.dat is, u can see the vtp commands in running-configuration.

Maybe u use the Catalyst 29series Switch. It doesn't occur to the vtp command in running-configuration.

That's all!

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

You can see VTP config information only When VTP mode is transparent, the VTP domain name and mode are also saved in the switch running configuration file

If mode selected is Server, then a VLAN database can be managed (created/modified/deleted) and the VLAN database stored in the file vlan.dat. If mode Client is selected, then VLANs can?t be created on that switch. If mode selected is Transparent, then VLAN creation/deletion is local to the switch (i.e., VLAN database information is not propagated to, or learned from, other switches in the VTP domain).

That is all correct. But I would like to add one more fact: if the mode is client, then the switch still maintains a vlan.dat file, taking its content from the server. In this way, if the client gets isolated and reloads, it does not lose its VLAN list.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: