Replies

Ordering call manager

NKSatheeskumar
Level 1
Level 1

I have confusion ordering the callmanager

what is device license?

what is seat license?

Other thing, while we order ip phones, we have to choose license is there any relationship within call manager device license and ip phone license

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dennis Fogler
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends what version of Call Manager you are ordering. If you are ordering Call Manager 5.x & higer you will need to order device license units. You will need to order enough device license units to cover the number of "devices" or phones you will be deploying on the system.

If you go the DLU route, you will not have to order the license that comes with the phone. These licenses are only for Call Manger 4.x & below.

Also check out the Call Manager Product Q&A on Cisco.com for detailed licensing questions & answers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_qandas_list.html

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi NK,

Just to add a note to the great info from Dennis (5 points for your good work here Dennis!)

You will require two Licenses (Node License with seats that covers the number of proposed users and Device License Units/DLU's for phones);

**Licenses are generated for requested Cisco CallManager nodes (servers in a Cisco CallManager cluster - with seats *Node License) and the phones that are associated with those nodes (DLU's on a separate License).

***Note - Upload the license file only on the first node of Cisco CallManager cluster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this good doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080530f9b.html

The Cisco CallManager server where the license file is loaded, assumes the functionality of a license manager.

The license manager serves as the logical component that keeps track of the licenses that the customer purchases and the licenses that customer uses. It refers to the processes that control the checkin and checkout of the licenses. It keeps track of the number of license units that are required for each phone type. The license manager has responsibility for issuing and reclaiming licenses, and detecting whether there is an overdraft of licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html#wp49438

Device licenses are required for Cisco devices and for third-party devices, with the flexibility to replace third-party devices with Cisco devices. Device licenses are sold in increments of device-license units (DLU's). Device-license units are assigned to each device connected to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0. Each device is assigned a unit number based on the type and capabilities of the device. Devices with more complex and high-end capabilities are assigned a higher number of units compared to devices with basic capabilities,

Here is the DLU breakdown;

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G = 1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G = 2

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G = 3

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 (no battery) = 4

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936 = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7940G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7985G = 6

Third-party SIP device (basic) = 3 (third-party)

Third-party SIP device (advanced) = 6 (third-party

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi NK,

First off, you are most welcome :) Here is the breakdown for your requirements;

For DLU's (Device License Units - Phones)

7911 - 400 x 3 DLU's per phone = 1200

7940 - 70 x 4 DLU's per phone = 280

7960 - 25 x 4 DLU's per phone = 100

7970 - 5 x 5 DLU's per phone = 25

Total Minimum ................ = 1605 DLU's

For Seat Licenses;

You need 1 Seat License per user

500 x 1 = Minimum 500 Seat Licenses

One thing to think about is using 7941's and 7961's to replace the 7940's and 7960's. These new 3rd generation models are a very nice upgrade.

Hope this helps!

Rob

6 Replies 6

Dennis Fogler
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends what version of Call Manager you are ordering. If you are ordering Call Manager 5.x & higer you will need to order device license units. You will need to order enough device license units to cover the number of "devices" or phones you will be deploying on the system.

If you go the DLU route, you will not have to order the license that comes with the phone. These licenses are only for Call Manger 4.x & below.

Also check out the Call Manager Product Q&A on Cisco.com for detailed licensing questions & answers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_qandas_list.html

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi NK,

Just to add a note to the great info from Dennis (5 points for your good work here Dennis!)

You will require two Licenses (Node License with seats that covers the number of proposed users and Device License Units/DLU's for phones);

**Licenses are generated for requested Cisco CallManager nodes (servers in a Cisco CallManager cluster - with seats *Node License) and the phones that are associated with those nodes (DLU's on a separate License).

***Note - Upload the license file only on the first node of Cisco CallManager cluster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this good doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080530f9b.html

The Cisco CallManager server where the license file is loaded, assumes the functionality of a license manager.

The license manager serves as the logical component that keeps track of the licenses that the customer purchases and the licenses that customer uses. It refers to the processes that control the checkin and checkout of the licenses. It keeps track of the number of license units that are required for each phone type. The license manager has responsibility for issuing and reclaiming licenses, and detecting whether there is an overdraft of licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html#wp49438

Device licenses are required for Cisco devices and for third-party devices, with the flexibility to replace third-party devices with Cisco devices. Device licenses are sold in increments of device-license units (DLU's). Device-license units are assigned to each device connected to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0. Each device is assigned a unit number based on the type and capabilities of the device. Devices with more complex and high-end capabilities are assigned a higher number of units compared to devices with basic capabilities,

Here is the DLU breakdown;

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G = 1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G = 2

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G = 3

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 (no battery) = 4

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936 = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7940G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7985G = 6

Third-party SIP device (basic) = 3 (third-party)

Third-party SIP device (advanced) = 6 (third-party

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob

Thank you for your very good explanation. and i'm expecting more help from you

customer is planning to buy CM 6.0 with MCS

customer Requirements:-

Users - 500

7911 - 400

7940 -70

7960 -25

7970 - 5

so, i need to know no of device licenses and if required how many seat license to be purchased?

please give me details with good explanation...

Hi NK,

First off, you are most welcome :) Here is the breakdown for your requirements;

For DLU's (Device License Units - Phones)

7911 - 400 x 3 DLU's per phone = 1200

7940 - 70 x 4 DLU's per phone = 280

7960 - 25 x 4 DLU's per phone = 100

7970 - 5 x 5 DLU's per phone = 25

Total Minimum ................ = 1605 DLU's

For Seat Licenses;

You need 1 Seat License per user

500 x 1 = Minimum 500 Seat Licenses

One thing to think about is using 7941's and 7961's to replace the 7940's and 7960's. These new 3rd generation models are a very nice upgrade.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob..

first off all i must say very much thanks to Netpro. because it is helping me to discuss with Experts such as you. i saw u r profile. i m very much proud about to keep discussion with u. I'm very much interesting in cisco unified solution. now only i start my career..

ok.. i 've one quetion.

Why cisco offering three license for ip telephony solution? i mean...

1. Seat license ( it is ok for users)

2. Device License

3. IP phone with License (such as call manager license or call manager express license or SIP or SCCP License)

please explain to me... if we purchased first two..do we need to purchase third as well....?

Hi NK,

Thank you for your very kind words :) This community is full of great people who will help you along this path. There is much to learn for all of us and this is an excellent place to do this learning. So welcome aboard!

With all CCM versions up until 5.x licensing is "honor based" so that is when Number 3 (phone with License)is used. There is "nothing" that has to be loaded on the CCM 3.x or 4.x server. So for your rollout you will using the new method (1&2).

Here is a good pre - CCM 5.x Q & A;

Q. Do I need a license for a Cisco IP Phone, and how does the licensing scheme work?

A. Customers of the Cisco CallManager software are required to purchase a CallManager Client Access License (CAL) for each IP phone, SoftPhone, or other endpoint device or application (IP phone) that registers with the CallManager software. This CAL requisite applies regardless of the source (Cisco or a third party) or the functionality of that IP phone.

Customers who purchase a spare IP phone need not purchase a CAL for that spare if that spare is used to replace another IP phone for which a CAL has already been paid.

Note: That spare phone is never registered with a Cisco CallManager until the phone that the spare replaces has been deregistered with that CallManager.

If the spare IP phone is not used as a replacement for an IP phone for which a CAL has already been paid, the customer must purchase a CAL for that spare. The Cisco CallManager CAL policy is that customers must purchase a matching number of IP phones and associated CALs, with the exception of spares that are used as replacements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q37

Here is the License info for CCM 5.x and beyond;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: