cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I find one of my AP's?

da.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have several AP's that were deployed before I arrived here and they were not put on the WCS maps. I have an idea what area they are in, but I wondered if there was a way to flash the lights on the front of the AP to see where is was located.

The AP is an 1131.

Thanks in advance.

David Beaver

5 Replies 5

wirlessmd
Level 1
Level 1

I have had similar problems in the past and have used two different things to locate the APs. One is finding the MAC address on the switch - it should tell you what port its on. I have 3Com switches and it is very easy to do. I dont know about Cisco switches.

The second way is to use a Cisco brand WiFi card. It has a BEEP BEEP BEEP you are getting warmer function to put you within a few feet of where any wireless AP is.

Good luck

You can use the Cisco WiFi card with the Cisco Aironet Site Survey which will give you the mac addess and the ap name as long as Aironet IE is checked on the WLAN SSID.

If you know the switch port, you can do a show cdp nei det

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks all. I was able to locate what switch the ap was plugged into and CDP what port it is on. My only issue is there are many AP's plugged into that switch, so now I may use the Cisco card to nail it down even more.

Thanks again for everyones help.

You can also do a show mac-address-table | include aabb (where aabb = last 4 of AP mac)

on your switches to see what port corresponds with the AP mac

justin_miller
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming you have controller based AP's, to make the AP flash off and on green on the external led status light you could use the following.

Turn on debugging:

debug ap enable APNAME

Then make it flash (note: 30secs is generic you can make it 3600second to flash for an hour or 0 to make it stop flashing)

debug ap command "led flash 30" APNAME

Then turn off debugging after you found your AP

debug ap disable APNAME

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card