7940-7960's stuck at "Requesting Template"

Unanswered Question
Oct 16th, 2007

After upgrading callmanager cluster from 4.1.3sr4d to sr5d some 7940 and 7960 phones get stuck at "Requesting Template". Phones will register to other callmanagers, but not that one. Anyone experience similar problem?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
andrewjuliz Tue, 10/16/2007 - 22:29

I have experienced similar problem. What I did to solve the problem are, I change the MAC Address of the phone on the CallManager, wait until the phone registration is rejected, and then change back the MAC Address to the original one.

Unfortunately, I don't have any logical explanation for this case. Hope this helps.


Andrew Juliz

Brad Martin Wed, 10/17/2007 - 05:02

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. Meanwhile, I've been "trying" to work with TAC on this and apparently there is a known bug that is fixed in ES123, but they haven't given it to me yet.

Hello All,

I am running into the exact same issue, I just recently upgraded my cluster about a month and a half ago from 4.0.2a sr2 to 4.1.3 sr5d and I just discovered the issue this morning after I rebooted the cluster last night. And I noticed that all of the phones that I am having problem with are phones with shared extension, they came up stuck at Requesting Template but if I remove the shared extension or move them to a different Subscriber then they all come up fine. So at this point the workaround for me is to register them to a different Subscriber.

I have also rebooted the cluster but that didn't help.

I am currently working with TAC on this issue and TAC is requesting for trace files at this point.

Does anyone have a permanent fix for this ? Please share your experience !!!

Thanks very much !!!


Brad Martin Mon, 11/19/2007 - 09:25

My response from TAC was that there is a bug (CSCsj09354). He said that SR5d has a base of ES106 and internally the bug is fixed in ES123. He didn't give me the ES. He deleted the publications and subscriptions between the callmanagers (SQL) and now the phones are working although I haven't tried a global reset of the phones to confirm the fix.

Hi Brad,

If TAC said it is a bug and I think most likely it is a bug and if that is the case then I have a feeling that deleting the publication and subscriptions in SQL will not fix the issue.

I am running the exact same version of CCM that you're running with the exact same phone models (7940s and 7960s). Please keep me posted on this issue !!!

Thanks !!!


Brad Martin Mon, 11/19/2007 - 09:40

I feel the same way. Since the phones are running, I'm not going to try and test TAC's "fix". The bug says that a cluster reboot "usually" fixes the problem but did nothing for me. I'm holding my breath for the next SR.

If the issue is replication related then a reboot of the cluster will clear it. I have ran into similar issues before but they were replication related so I just reboot the cluster and that clears the issues. But this time I rebooted the cluster and it did nothing for me. The phones show registered in CCMAdmin but the phone screen displays Requesting Template and just stuck there.

I am still waiting for TAC to get back to me on this issue.

Thanks !


Brad Martin Mon, 11/19/2007 - 09:55

A "workaround" that TAC had me do was removing the DN from the phone and putting it back. This worked to get some phones working, but obviously is not a great solution if you have more than a few phones experiencing the problem.


This Discussion