cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 871 with 2 dialers

roneng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i want to use the 871 with 2 wans, to have backup wan. at the moment it is connected through the wan port to cables dsl with virtual-ppp1, i want to use another dialer to adsl modem with pppoe, can i do it? and if i can to which port?

2 Replies 2

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

The Cisco 870 Series is ideal for small remote offices and teleworkers that need to be connected to larger enterprise networks. When extending corporate networks to numerous remote sites, network resources must remain secure while giving users access to the same applications found in a corporate office. This applies to both data and voice applications, where IP phones can be used to extend a corporate voice extension to the remote office. When users require WLAN access, visibility and control of network security is even more critical at the remote site. The Cisco 870 Series meets this need with a single device that combines integrated 802.11b/g capabilities with security features such as Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), including authentication with IEEE 802.1X with Cisco Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP) and Protected EAP (PEAP), and encryption with WPA Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP). (See Wireless Solution overview and Security Data Sheet for more information).

DeonLouwBotha
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco 870 Series supports both dial backup and out-of-band management on its virtual auxiliary port with an external modem connected to it.

The following limitations exist for the dial backup feature:

•Bridging is not supported over console or auxiliary port backup interfaces.

•For the Cisco 851 router, only dial-in capability is supported.

•Dial backup support on the Cisco 871 router is limited because the Ethernet WAN interface is always up, even when ISP connectivity is down on the other side of the modem connected to the Cisco 871 router. The router must be in a PPPoE environment with the dialer watch feature running. The IP addresses of the peer must be specified in the dialer watch and the static route commands to enable dial backup when the primary line goes down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card