cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 - do we need SSL and VPN modules?

itlklubos6
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are going to buy ASA 5505 firewall for our SMB office. In the product specification is said, there are licenses needed for VPN and SSL.

I am a bit confused. Why I need VPN and SSL for firewall? When we run our web server the SSL certificate is on the server. Also for remote access we will have available licenses when we buy Citrix. How is the firewall VPN/SSL licensing involved in this? Do wee need those additional modules?

Thanks for help,

Lubomir

5 Replies 5

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

The licensing for SSL is for SSL VPN. It has nothing to do with running SSL on your webserver.

Thanks.

Could you please explain in more detail what is difference between VPN established by using a software like Citrix and VPN offered by a firewall?

cmcbride
Level 1
Level 1

The datasheets are a bit confusing. Cisco has a feature called SSL VPN available on the ASAs. This feature allows you to setup browser based VPN termation through SSL web sessions directly to the firewall. To use this feature you have to have SSL VPN user licenses. (It comes with 2 licenses normally I think)

You do not need any additional licensing for VPN client users that are going to use the Cisco VPN client, or even Microsoft PPTP.

If you're primarly going to use Citrix as your remote access solution, then you may not even need to configure any VPN settings on the firewall, but rather just allow access through the firewall to the Citrix box and let it do all the encryption as needed via SSL and ICA.

ASA also has a Citrix Plugin for the Clientless SSL VPN.

Thank you for explanation.

Regards,

Lubomir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card