CCNA expired, CCIE written passed

Unanswered Question
Oct 16th, 2007

My CCNA is expired but I've passed the CCIE written 5 months ago. Now I'm interested in getting CCVP and Security certifications. Do I need to do the CCNA test again?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
yann.gauteron Thu, 10/18/2007 - 11:37

Was your CCNA valid when you passed your CCIE written ?

If yes, you were recertified CCNA at the same time you passed CCIE written.

If no, you probably will have to take CCNA again.

tomprincen Fri, 10/19/2007 - 01:34

Thanks for the info. My CCNA was expired before doing the CCIE exam so I would have to start all over... I don't see the logic. I'll go for CCIE security instead.

jeff.hardee Fri, 10/19/2007 - 15:03

I think the logic here is to encourage people to refresh their knowledge every few years, given the changing nature of the networking field. Few people are ready to pass the CCIE written and lab exams on their first try. Together, these exams are about $1,800. Given this, I would think that anyone wanting to attempt it wouldn't want to have to re-take it too many times.

If someone had the current, in-depth knowledge to attempt CCIE right off the bat, I'd encourage them to go that route. But much more often, I'd recommend that someone proceed steadily up the pyramid starting at CCNA. With Cisco requiring a renewal of CCNA after a few years, one is motivated to continue with their education. Also, the certification one has can still be considered "fresh". Remember, taking any of the exams at the professional level will automatically renew the associate level exams. So while one is working at the next level of networking knowledge represented by CCNP, CCSP, etc, one is verifying and updating the associate level knowledge while being placed under a new expiration date, further encouraging one to reach for CCIE.

Of course, this is just my opinion as I plod steadily along. ;) In any event, good luck on your exam!

This Discussion