Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 877 Router in pure Bridge Mode

1pipantom2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

It is possible to use Cisco 877 Router in simple Bridge Mode. I mean simple bridging between all 4 FE Ethernet Interfaces and single ATM0 logical interface VPI/VCI 8/35.

I understand that is not common (and not practical) to use Cisco Router in such tiny configuration. But...answer is interesting for me.

Why I am in doubt ?

Which interfaces should I put into bridge group ?

Cisco IOS is 12.4 (4) Advanced Security Software Image (Default Image)

In Routing mode packet are routed between VLAN1 and ATM0 or VLAN1 and BVI1 (depending on encapsulation method from the DSL line side). VLAN1 is combined physical FE interfaces. Here are no questions.

But in bridge mode should I put VLAN1 and ATM0 interface into one bridge group or all FE and ATM0 interfaces?

The best answer is to try in practice. But right now I didn't have spare Cisco 877 to try this configuration.

Best regards,

Tomas Chmelevski

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For this, you put atm0 and vlan1 with the same bridge-group. You can also give the router an address using the BVI interface.

The FE ports are all controlled by VLAN1 and do not need to be configured individually.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thank You for clear answer

I will try this configuration.

Tomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card