Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast with Wireless LAN Controllers

georgesmaes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I tried to configure controllers (Wism) to allow multicast traffic (Video) from wired lan source toward wireless PCs. But it doesn't work.

Although it works properly on the wired LAN from the same source, when I enable broadcast and multicast (multicast-multicast mode) on the controllers, the wireless PCs do not receive any video streaming.

The components are:

two 6513 with Sup720 on the core.

3750 on the access.

LAP-1242AG-E-K9.

Modules Wism on each 6513.

Thanks for your help,

Regards.

Georges.

9 Replies 9

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Because of the architecture of the WiSM you have to change the default multicast replication mode of the 6500 backplane from egress to ingress. This is done with the global command of "mls ip multicast replication-mode ingress" on the sup720. You should test this solution as it adds a good bit of overhead to the backplane of the 6500.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Georges,

Before you change any config on cat6k I will like to know if your controller which is WISM itself is receiving any multicast traffic or not. Can you make your wireless client join multicast group and get the output of "sh ip igmp snooping group" from Cat6k box?

Also can you confim on which vlan your wired server is connected and on which vlan you have your wireless clients and can you confirm if you see that vlan updated in your multicast routing table incase your server and wireless client are in different vlans.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for your response.

At the moment, I am not able to give you the outputs of the "sh ip igmp snooping group" because I can not have a remote access to my customer's network.

Normally I am going to go to my customer tomorrow or the day after.

So I will be able to give the outputs yous asked me.

However I can give some information:

The multicast server is located on vlan 3.

The Port-Channel between cat6k and Wism is a 802.1q port: vlan 2 (management interface of the controller), vlan 11 (ToIP wireless) and vlan 12 (data wireless).

The wireless end-users are located to the vlan 12.

The inter-vlan routing is made by the cat6k.

Regards,

Hi Ankur,

As I told you on my last reply, I will be able to give the requested outputs tommorow afternoon (10/24/2007:14h00GMT).

Regards,

Georges.

Hi Georges,

Not a problem. Also now when you have updates that your multicast server and receiver are in different vlans also check if multicast routing table is properly updated for that multicast group.

You can check the same with "sh ip mroute"

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I just done the tests this morning.

My Wireless PC has the address 10.0.24.2 and was located to the vlan 12.

The multicast address configured on the WiSM is 235.0.0.1

How can I give you the files containing the outputs ?

Regards.

Georges.

Hi Georges,

Start your multicast server and then make your wireless client join multicast group and then from Cat6k switch get the output of "sh ip mroute" , "sh ip igmp snooping groups" and "sh run int vlan 12"

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I have got the outputs of these commands. How can I give them to you ? in a attach file ?

Moreover, the "sh ip igmp snooping groups" command does not exist on the cat6k.

Regards,

Georges.

George, Ankur,

could you share the solution for this, do the management vlan and wireless client vlan need to be part of the group as well ??

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: