Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Configration

vinothdhanapal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Please forgive me if it is a very basic question... but i just want to clear out the doubt out of my mind...

Do we need a line associated with a phone even if we need to make a emergency call ?

As I believe only if a line is associated we can make any outbound call from an ip phone ...

If there is any other way to do this please share your thoughts...

Regards

10 Replies 10

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

No line = No dial-tone

No dial-tone = No ability to place call

A bit like chicken and egg situation.

hth,

Ajaz

Many thanks Ajax... You are a star :)

Vino

Vino,

There is another potential workaround. You could assign a 'Dummy' line number. Consult your dial-plan before you do this. Create a CSS/Partition such that only 'Emergency' number can be called and no incoming calls allowed. Place the phone/DN into this CSS/Partition.

If you need some more idea on how to achieve this - pls let us know.

hth,

Ajaz

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vino,

Just to add a note to Ajaz's good info 95 points for the nice post, loved the analogy!) , here is a good config guide that shows the step by step to setting Hotdial up on an IP Phone. If you do this the phone calls a pre-defined Emergency number but cannot call anywhere else or be called from anywhere;

Hotdial on IP Phones with CallManager Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080232b9f.shtml#intro

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for your kind numbers and words ; )

I see one serious drawback with hotdial. As soon as you pick up the phone handset a call will be placed to 'Emergency' services, without even pressing a single button. You just simply remove the handset and voila!

Nonetheless, it's good to know about that particular feature.

kind regards

Ajaz

Rob

Many thanks for the info ... I think in this situation still they need a line number to make this hotdial to work right...

Ajax

I believe that hotdial is going to ring whenever a user is going to pick the phone or by mistake he is going to off hook it...

I shall just say that they need a line number to make emergency calls... :) which is easier option for this..

Thanks

Vino

Yes - you got it!

Look at the workaround I stated in my reply earlier on.

Ajaz

Ajax

The problem here is that they need incoming calls from all the other clusters (not from outside) and outgoing to national and UK calls ...

If I give them a different partition and then CSS to go out... Then still I need to have these numbers included in the VG to be identified by all the other clusters ?

How do you do it ?

Thanks

Vino,

The problem is not going to be call restrictions. The biggest issue is going to be what DN i.e. line numbers you are going to use. That will depend amongst other things how many phones you wish to deploy with this setup. Remember what I said about dial-plan.

Once you are given a group of DN's to assign to the phones then the rest is easy. You design a route plan allowing internal calls, emergency and UK numbers only. IMO these phones should be grouped together in their own CSS. I would create that first then add call routing privileges by populating the CSS with partitions (RP's and internal DN's).

Does this make things a little more clear for you?

Ajaz

Ajax

I shall take your advice regarding this ... Also I have a project to implement the video conferencing using Sony SCCP end point with CCME and callmanager 4.1 between to sites... Do you have any information regarding this ?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: