cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS email notification not working

ryanhayes28
Level 1
Level 1

I am having issues with WCS (4.0.66.0) not emailing out critical events. I have a vaild smtp server and email addresses. When running a packet analyzer I do not see communication even trying to start to the smtp server.

The server has been rebooted.

4 Replies 4

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

Input the SMTP server with IP address and hostname of the WCS. If this doesnt workupgrade WCS to the latest version. If you use MS exchange server have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS03-046.mspx

We are facing a similar problem......

WCS is not saving  password in SMTP settings

Wireless Control System
Version 5.2.130.0

We were using WCS for managing and reporting for our wifi access-points.

The reporting was done using email configured in the WCS SMTP settings.

The SMTP settings used did not have a password then and worked properly.

Now as the mail servers have been upgraded and authentication has become compulsory the current login settings include username and password.

When I enter the username and password in the SMTP settings in WCS and click on Test , it sends the mail successfully.

But when I click save and then test, the mail sending fails.

It is noted that the password is not getting saved or is getting saved incorrectly.

Tried this procedure for both primary and secondary mail servers and same result.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

The last issue you mention I'm sure is this bug:

CSCta32522  WCS does not send email from TEST button if using username/password

It is fixed per my testing in 6.0.181.0.

sschmidt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ryanhayes28,

Did you try the test email?  Is it successful?  4.0 is a bit old and I don't have it in my lab anymore but did you make sure that the email is associated to the event and is supposed to be sent out for that level of event.  Try checking ( this is 4.2 ) Monitor > Alarms > Pulldown "Email Notification" and then click the Alarm Category and make sure a valid email is entered there and "Critical" is checked.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card