Views
Helpful
Replies

Autonegotiating

qwertys21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

If we have auto negotiation set at the Switch level for a printer connection, can it result in the printer loosing connection form the network intermittently?

If I leave the switch setting at auto-negotiation, does it mean that from time to time, the ports on the printer and switch will be auto negotiating the speed and duplex at which they want to send data. And thereby affect connectivity. The printer is connected to a DHCP Server. Can this affect connectivity?

Is it proper for me to set a fixed speed/duplex at the Switch level to get continuous connectivity for the printer?

When I do a ping -t, I do get dropped packet from time to time

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Auto-negotiation would not detect the correct configuration on both side sometimes due to

compatibility, hardware limitation, software bug ...

Most of cases the issue is resolved by hardcording duplex set up on both side.

Specially when the device connected to port is printer...It is always better to set up hardcoded duplex.

Regards,

~JG

Please rate helpful posts

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

the settings on the switch must match how the printer is setup , if the printer is hardcoded with a specific speed/duplex then the switch must be hardcoded also . If the printer is set as auto for speed and duplex then the switchport must be set as auto for speed/duplex. If you are getting dropped packets then you probably have a speed/duplex mismatch , you need to check to see how the printer is setup whether it is auto or is it hardcoded and match the switchport .

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

In my experiences the Auto-Auto setting is the most desirable. We do the same here, DHCP - Autuo-Auto. When auto-negotiation has issues in our case, it has consistently been 1 of 3 things. 1. Bad/questionable wiring/patch cable. 2. Bad/Questionable NIC/interface on printer/print server and lastly 3. NIC/Interface firmware on the printer/print server.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card