cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCPv6 and the ASA

duncanm
Level 1
Level 1

DHCPv6 has been added to the routers but what about the ASAs? There doesn't seem to be an IP helper for IPv6 so is there a way for the ASA to forward DHCPv6 requests?

6 Replies 6

duncanm
Level 1
Level 1

Bumpage.

There must be a way to forward DHCPv6 requests.

Hi,

I am having the same issue. It seems only the routers running 12.3, 12.4 support helper address for ipv6. Even the 6500 does not have suppoprt for this. Can Cisco comment on when ip helper for ipv6 will be added to the other platforms.

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

I have a Cisco 2651XM router and run 12.3 code. The IPv6 DHCPv3 forwarder is now called "RELAY AGENT".

I also noticed the 3750 series switches do not support the relay agent feature so anyone trying to consolidate devices - well hold on. The switch provides connectivity but you will still need a router that supports "RELAY AGENT" to forward DHCPv3 request if requestor is not on the same local lan as the provider (I.E. DHCPv3 server)

HTH

Frank

This tends to limit having a ASA/PIX first hop as we can't do DHCP unless we have a server on each segment or manually configure a lot of settings.

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

Cisco,

Any developments in this area? I'm running the latest and greatest on my home ASA5505 but still cannot find the dhcpv6 relay.

Any workarounds available? Multicasting with the All-DHCP-Servers group maybe? All tips are welcome!

Regards,
Erik

ASA 9.0 finally supports DHCPv6 relay but still no DHCPv6 server functionality with a local pool.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: