Helpful
Replies

Voice over VPN

zaheer
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

i HAVE A SITE TO SITE VPN.

WE ARE PLANNING FOR SENDING VOICE PACKETS THROUGH OUR VPN TUNNEL.

THE VPN TUNNEL PASSESS THE TRUSTED TRAFFIC IN BOTH DIRECTIONS AS I HAVE THE COMMAND sysopt connection permit-ipsec

ON BOTH FIREWALLS.

MY ONLY QUERY IS I THINK IT SHOULD WORK.

BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FROM THE EXPORTS IF I AM MISSING SOMETHING OR I NEED TO CONFIGURE SOMETHING MORE ON THE FIREWALL SO MY VOICE TRAFFIC HAS NO PROBLEMS.

2 Replies 2

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

When you configure Voip ceratin ports need to be opened on the firewall. Have a look at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00801a62b9.shtml#topic1 for port configuration.

Patrick.Beaven
Level 1
Level 1

You can run VOIP across the internet with vpn tunnels. The only problem exists is that there is no honoring of prioritization. Especially considering that your tunnel is encrypted. Service providers wont be able to read those precedence bits or any dscp values that are represented in the vpn tunnel. You can use the QOS pre-classify option that will try and push all of the "ef"

(voice) traffic into the tunnel first and give it priority thru the tunnel. That's about all you can do. At least that I know of. search QOS and VPN tunnels and you should find more information about it.

Good Luck,