Newbie asking about trunking

Unanswered Question
Oct 18th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi to fellow forumers,

I am a newbie on the use of trunking and I had some enquiries about the use of it. If anyone can help, that's would be great and thanks in advance.

I had 3 different networks in which 2 are connected to normal linksys/dlink switch and one to cisco 2950c. All 3 networks are running on different subnets. I had just purchased another 2950c in hope to trunk up all the 3 networks together so that they can intercommunicate.

a. For the linksys/dlink switches, can I use straight cables to connect to the trunk port on the new 2950c?

b. Instead of using a router to route traffic, are there any ways to configure the new 2950c so that all three different subnets can talk to one another?

Initially, I was under the impression that 2950c should be enough for the task but now, it seems like I am totally wrong. Any advise on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tan

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ankbhasi Thu, 10/18/2007 - 02:49
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Tan,

You need a cross cable to connect 2 switches. Second 2950 is a pure layer 2 switch and will not route between vlans.

You need a router and connect it to 2950 switch after configuring 2950 switch as trunk port and then configure router to do routing betwene vlans or you have to buy any layer 3 switch.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/50.shtml#801.1Q

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Actions

This Discussion