Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

U/g WiSM to 4.1.185.0 - TFTP dies

Are there any tricks with u/g to 4.1.185.0 with WiSM). It's size it 37,511,776 bytes.

Current s/w is 3.2.171.6 on WiSM (it's new & came with this.)

TFTP keeps dying at exactly the same bytes at every attempt. I've tried 3COM & Pumpkin TFTP servers & same error.

I believe there are known issues with TFTP & the 32MB boundary. Last time I hit this with a Sup32 I had to use FTP but I don't think WiSm supports FTP, right?

I succeeded in u/g to 4.0.179.11 who's size is 27,426,896 bytes.

I would still like to u/g to 4.1.185.0.

5 Replies 5

How potentially embarasing for me?!?!

I just found,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

I'll from TFTP server,

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_faq.html

tomorrow & see if my problems are all gone.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting this up to help others! You have shown what type of community this is, where people share their "ups" and "downs" so others may benefit down the road. 5 points for this very classy contribution :)

Take care,

Rob

PS:You should be good to go with TFTP32. Many others have used this successfully for this upgrade.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your encouraging words.

I successfully u/g to 4.1.185.0 who's size is 37,511,776 bytes. Hence the greater than the TFTP 32MB threshold.

Not only do you need a TFTP server which supports > 32MB (TFTP32 worked for me) you need to be running WLC s/w which supports > 32MB transfer. The cisco doc refered to above spelts it all out.

I started at 3.2.171.6 (what WiSm was delivered with). This does not support > 32MB transfer, so I went to 4.0.219.0 size 30,498,252 bytes. then went to 4.1.185.0.

MH

to
Level 4
Level 4

The TFTP standard has an limitation on files greater than 32MB however several of the TFPT servers can handle this. Try using the newest tftp server from SolarWinds (free) or version 3.0 or later of Tftpd32. If you have a WCS version 4.1 you can use this for upgrading controllers as its builtin tftp daemon supports files greater than 32 MB.

rgds

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

Great work here! Congrats on your successful upgrade :)

Thanks for the update,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card