Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 - dual ISPs

arjun.e343
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

i have ASA 5510 with Security Plus License (5 FE ports).

i want to terminate my two ISPs (one with Static public IP address and other with dynamic IP) in ASA 5510 and want to give IPSec VPN Connectivity for my remote users.

Is it possible to connect two different ISPs in a single box and route IPSec VPN user traffic thro a specific Link (Static Public IP Link) and rest of internet traffic through a different link.

Regards

Arjun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jsteffensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Arjun

I believe it is not possible.

Normally you could create different contexts with different default gateways. If you add Policybased Routing on a Router behind the Firewall you could forward different traffic to the different Contextes, and thereby use two ISP's and select what kind of traffic should be sendt using which ISP. In this way you could separate the ISP-Traffic for example for HTTP, SMTP, FTP and so on.

But as soon as you create contexts IPSEC VPN is no longer supported.

So sorry

Regards

Jarle

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In dual ISP mode, I believe that only one connection is "active" meaning that the firewall is routing out to that connection. I think you'll have to have two ASA's per your requirements above.

jsteffensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Arjun

I believe it is not possible.

Normally you could create different contexts with different default gateways. If you add Policybased Routing on a Router behind the Firewall you could forward different traffic to the different Contextes, and thereby use two ISP's and select what kind of traffic should be sendt using which ISP. In this way you could separate the ISP-Traffic for example for HTTP, SMTP, FTP and so on.

But as soon as you create contexts IPSEC VPN is no longer supported.

So sorry

Regards

Jarle

i want to try do the dual isp in active active, using route maps. Has anyone done this?

i was able to do dual isp but in active failover mode. only if primary connection was down it would redirect traffic to the other line.

alanajjar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The easist way is to put a router in front of the ASA,and let the router make the load balance. If you use multiple context in ASA, you cannot use VPN, also you will create extra subnet.

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card