Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block Google Toolbar

Hi
Does anybody know how to block the google toolbar from getting past the ironport.
Sick of users installing it.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

jowolfer
Level 1
Level 1

Twofold,

Can you tell me exactly what the google toolbar is doing? I would assume that it is used for quickly searching google, but I'm not sure how it would be used to get around the WSA.

All requests going through the WSA will be filtered just the same, regardless of whether or not they have a tool bar installed into the browser.

Is it pulling up google cache pages?

Hi
Thanks for the response.

We use group policy to stop users installing software onto the PC's.
When we have scanned the network we have found a number of PC's have had the Google Toolbar installed which we do not want. To remove the toolbar we have to log in as administrator and then un-install the software as general users do not have access to the control panel.

What I want to do is stop the Google Toolbar installation file from getting to the desktop. Stop it at the ironport so they cant install it.

Thanks
Stephen

jowolfer
Level 1
Level 1

Twofold,

After doing a little snooping, I discovered that the official google link for downloading the tool bar is:

------------------------------------------
dl.google.com/toolbar/T4/data/en//big/current/GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe
------------------------------------------

You can create a custom category that includes this and set it to deny. This will ONLY stop users that download the tool bar from the google site though.

I would recommend adding:

GoogleToolbarInstaller\.exe

to the custom category regex. This would stop downloads with this file name, but it will still not stop it if the executable were to be renamed.

I'm not sure of all of the ways the tool bar can be installed and it would be difficult to block them all, since it can only be blocked by destination. The google tool bar is bundled in with many other install packages (even iTunes, I believe), so desktop management will still be the most effective preventative measure.

Josh
Thanks for the information.

I also found that if it has been installed before and you try and download the toolbar again it goes to

Google_Updater.exe

So I have blocked both.
We are also talking to Microsoft and Google to find more info on how to stop it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: