cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A-Radio clients will not Roam well

james_d
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 4 story Hospital building. We originally installed b/g radios in 1200's and later 1130's. We are running WDS, WLSE, and we are using dedicated ap1200's to be

WDS manager and Radius server (about 30 WDS clients per manager)The A-Radio client wants to "stick" to certain points even to failure with no recovery. - HELP! Jim Davis

4 Replies 4

srahn
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, Jim. What model client devices and wireless cards do you have running on 802.11a? Did Winston perform a survey of your 802.11a coverage while he was there (I don't recall the scope)? What type of security are you using on these clients? Many times, roaming problems are result of the RSSI calculation algorithms designed within the client cards themselves. If you're 802.11a coverage has been surveyed for proper roaming, I'd look to the client devices. Do you have any Cisco a/b/g cardbus adapters you can disable 802.11b/g on an test with?

Hi, Winston did not do a survey. We are running the Cisco a-b-g cardbus on some Intel on some, and Altheros abg cards. We configured the WDS Point to authenticate only the points, not clients. We tried even with the Cisco client cards, they seem to hang on a point to the point of fail. Could we talk about doing a survey? Thanks, Jim Davis

Sean,

I think you probably nailed this one right on the head. I suspect the survey and design was built for 2.4 and not 5gHz. It probably has to do with RSSI values being to low to force reassociation.

JD, Bob will contact you soon. I'm out of town at the moment, but I'm sure we can work with you on this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: