cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 26 DFM 206 Fault Error Message

birengandhi
Level 1
Level 1

We have LMS 26 DFM 206 installed on Solaris 2.9. We send all the traps to an external HP Open View for Alert Notifications. What are the diffrent MIBs, we should use to get all the different Fault Errors? For Eg. We are alerted for a node DOWN message, but we don't get it when node is back UP?

6 Replies 6

birengandhi
Level 1
Level 1

This is my typical SNMP setup:

logging history warnings

logging facility syslog

logging x.x.x.x

snmp-server engineID local xxx

snmp-server view myview xxx excluded

snmp-server community a0uab1ue RO

snmp-server community fuch5ia1 RW

snmp-server location 1441 17th Floor

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart

snmp-server enable traps entity

snmp-server enable traps envmon

snmp-server enable traps rtr

snmp-server host x.x.x.x L4ven6er

snmp-server host x.x.x.x Or6nge00

For these traps, you will need to load the CISCO-GENERAL-TRAPS module, ENTITY-MIB, CISCO-ENVMON-MIB, and the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB in addition to all the standard MIBs and core Cisco MIBs.

Joe,

Attached is the Cisco-EPM-Notification-Mib, we have installed on HPOV, so far.

What are standard MIBs and core Cisco MIBs?

Can you be more specific, pls.?

So what other MIBs do we need, all those you have suggested?

We are not notified for any network device coming back on-line.

Pls. advise?!

The CISCO-EPM-NOTIFICATION-MIB is only used if you are sending DFM notifications as traps. That is, you have configured a notification subscription which translates DFM events and alerts into traps.

If all you are doing is forwarding device traps from DFM to NNM, then you do not need this MIB.

For how to get started with loading Cisco MIBs, see ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/app_notes/mib-compilers . Pay particular attention to item 8.

As for not being notified when devices come back online, this goes back to exactly what you are sending from DFM to NNM. If you are simply forwarding device traps, then there is some issue with the device not sending the proper trap indicating it is back online. If you are sending DFM notifications, then perhaps you do not have your notification group properly defined.

Joe,

Now I am more perplexed than before.

the following is defined in my device(s).

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart

Under DFM/Notification Services/Notification Groups has 1 single group defined (with all my devices in it).

Under DFM/Notification Services/SNMP Trap Notification, I have defined my HPOV server & port 162 is chosen.

So what is this considered: Trap forwarding OR DFM notifications?

Pls. help.

Then you are forwarding all device traps as well as sending DFM notifications. Since I haven't seen your notification subscription configuration, I don't know if you're sending notification traps or not. But in any case, all device traps should be forwarded to NNM. If you aren't seeing certain traps, you will need to troubleshoot the device to see why it is not sending traps.

The best way to do this is turn on "debug snmp packet" and wait for the condition to happen. Then see if the device sends the trap. If not, then you may be running into a bug.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: