cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 1.2 upgrade to Unity Connection 2.x

johnmannarino
Level 1
Level 1

There doesn't seem to be a clean upgrade process from UC 1.x to UC 2.x. Oly the export/migration utility from ciscounitytools.com Am I reading correctly, it will only migrate subscribers, not call handlers or other stuff? Anyone have a good process to follow?

25 Replies 25

dwesonga
Level 1
Level 1

John,

My team ran into this problem while putting together a UC training program. We went to ciscounitytools.com and there was a VoD that explained how to do the upgrade. Hope that helps!

This helps a little, but the VoD does not address the Call Handlers and AA greetings

You guys have anymore insight or other documents on how to accomplish this? Im going to check out the VoD, but I cant find any documents on the upgrade process.

Cheers

The migration tool for Connection 2.x only handles top level subscriber data and messages - it does not include call handler data or anything else. It's pretty light and done largely through CSV import.

As a side note, I've released a beta version of COBRAS (Cisco Object Backup and Restore Application Suite) which will eventually support Connection 7.0 when it releases - this will allow for migrations from Connection 1.2 or Unity 4.0(5) and later to Connection 7.0 and include subscribers, call handlers, messages, routing rules and public distribution lists (with membership info) - a bit more comprehensive then the top level subscriber data offered in 2.0.

Unfortunatley I wont be able to make this fly in 2.0 because there is no off box database or stream file access available without root access (a support no-no). In 7.0 there is (when it releases).

Also, COBRAS will support going between unity versions (i.e. a 4.0(5) backup to a 5.0(1) restore) - currently only unity to unity moves/migrations/merges are supported, but if folks are interested, I've posted the beta version that's currently being tested by a number of sites:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_COBRAS.htm

Your comments are always appreciated Jeff!

So what is best bet then? Use the CSV export and then rebuild the call handlers manually?

Or can I do I do an inplace upgrade from 1.2 to 2.0 then do DIRT.

I have had great luck with the Global Subscriber migration tools between Unity 4.x to 5.x, then just rebuild CH's on the other side. Seems to work the best in upgrading when the message store is the same.

Upgrade is next week for me on Wednesday I believe.

There is no in place upgrade possible. There is no option to do a DiRT restore from a backup of 1.2 so the CSV import is your only option at this point.

GSM can't run against 2.0 because it's locked down - that means no off box file or DB access.

Import csv and rebuild CH's on new server then Correct?

Thanks Jeff

That's correct. The TOI for this covers some of the details for getting messages on which requires use of SSH:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/TOI_CUC201.htm

What about the license file. Will i have to obtain a new one. I used the software subscribtion and ordered the UNCN2-SM-VUP-K9, but there wasn't any new PAK in the box!

We are going to migrate the customer next week, the 27 and 28th.

You will probably have to checkout a new license file from the Product Upgrade Tool. Use the Smartnet contact to obtain this TODAY. Licensing takes awhile.

If not, email licensing@cisco.com and see they can do anything for you

You have to get a new license file - there is no migration of license files between the Windows based 1.x product and the Linux based 2.x product.

Jeff

Is there anyway we can migrate 1.x to 2.x and include the subscribers greetings, settings, etc? Or is it just easier for them to re-record their personal greetings, reset their PINs, etc.

Thanks

Some of the subscriber settings (including PIN) _are_ included in the migration tool - check out the TOI referenced earlier in this thread.

Items not included (greetings, notification devices etc...) will have to be rebuilt by hand by either the admin or subscriber.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: