passiv OC3/STM1 link for network analyzation

Answered Question
Oct 19th, 2007

I have the following network setup: 2 network elements connected together with an OC3/STM1 link. In beween there is an OC3/STM1 network tap that mirrors the traffic. My question is now: is it possible to put this (passiv) link into a Cisco switch and e.g. mirror it to different ethernet ports. Especially does Cisco keep OC3/STM1 links up that do not have any active handshaking or keep alive signaling (port is not allowed/able to send any data into the network).

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Paolo Bevilacqua about 9 years 1 month ago

Yes, absolutely. I think the passive device can mirror one direction at once, anyway.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Fri, 10/19/2007 - 09:45

Yes, it possible by disabling keepalives on the interface.The matter is that when you want to send into ethernet, the protocol must be routable, or bridgeable.

woellinger Sun, 10/21/2007 - 04:49

Thank you for the answer. First part (disabling keepalive) is OK. Second part: The connection is an ethernet over sonet connection. I am not a sonet expert but I thought of something like putting an OC3/STM1 link into somthing like a VLAN and monitor it on ethernet ports. Is this possible?

Correct Answer
Paolo Bevilacqua Sun, 10/21/2007 - 08:57

Yes, absolutely. I think the passive device can mirror one direction at once, anyway.

Actions

This Discussion