passiv OC3/STM1 link for network analyzation

Answered Question
Oct 19th, 2007
User Badges:

I have the following network setup: 2 network elements connected together with an OC3/STM1 link. In beween there is an OC3/STM1 network tap that mirrors the traffic. My question is now: is it possible to put this (passiv) link into a Cisco switch and e.g. mirror it to different ethernet ports. Especially does Cisco keep OC3/STM1 links up that do not have any active handshaking or keep alive signaling (port is not allowed/able to send any data into the network).

Correct Answer by paolo bevilacqua about 9 years 7 months ago

Yes, absolutely. I think the passive device can mirror one direction at once, anyway.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
paolo bevilacqua Fri, 10/19/2007 - 09:45
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Yes, it possible by disabling keepalives on the interface.The matter is that when you want to send into ethernet, the protocol must be routable, or bridgeable.

woellinger Sun, 10/21/2007 - 04:49
User Badges:

Thank you for the answer. First part (disabling keepalive) is OK. Second part: The connection is an ethernet over sonet connection. I am not a sonet expert but I thought of something like putting an OC3/STM1 link into somthing like a VLAN and monitor it on ethernet ports. Is this possible?

Correct Answer
paolo bevilacqua Sun, 10/21/2007 - 08:57
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Yes, absolutely. I think the passive device can mirror one direction at once, anyway.

Actions

This Discussion