cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting 2 ws-3500xl via crossover

stevebybee
Level 1
Level 1

Im about to pull my hair out. I have two 3500xl switches running IOS c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120.5.bin and both switches have deemed themselves the root. On one switch I lowered the priority,max age,hello, and forward and left the other one at its defaults. Root guard is turned off on both switches, running in transparent mode, no bpduguard. No portfast on the ports that are linked to each other, duplex and speed are the same for both. No other Vlans, just the native vlan1. I am overlooking something and cannot figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanx

Steve

5 Replies 5

rsherman
Level 1
Level 1

Try changing one of the switches to server mode.

I tried that as well. Still no link. The ports work with a computer or router.

If it works with a computer or router then the cross over cable you should be using between the switches is no good if you are not getting a link . With a computer or router you use a straight thru versus a crossover. Your first post was confusing because you did not mention that you had no link light , obviously if you have no link they will both think they are the root for the vlan.

When using a x-over cable between the switches only one switch will have a link light on, the other switch doesn't. Using a straight thru cable with a workstation on either port works just fine.

The cross over cable tests fine, and works with other switches. It just seems one switch will not give up being the root.

I got it, just ended up wiping both switches and reloading the IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card