cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4948 L2 Port Channel

bilawson
Level 1
Level 1

I am building a new server room and have chosen to use the 4948 switch as a top of the rack switch. I have 2 6504's that act as distribution layer switches and they connect to the Core switches. I have 3 rows of racks in the new room and 4 racks in each row. I have 2 4948 switches in each row and am using the 2 switches in each row as redundant switches. When I try to build a 2 port etherchannel (L2) when I configure the second EC the first one goes err-disabled and tells me I have misconfigured the etherchannel. My question is "can I build 2 layer 2 Etherchannels on a single 4948? One of the EC is connected to the A-6504 and the other is connected to the B - 6504.

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to build it , something is misconfigured if it went err-disable. you would have to post your config from both sides of the channel , both sides must be configured exactly the same with the same paramters .

Try building a single link trunk with no ec first and see if spanning tree disables it.

Sometimes, Spanning-tree wont let you build ec if it will cause a loop.

If it is layer 2, then map out your config and see if there is more than 1 way to get to your core/distribution from one switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card