Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT of Unicast Destination Address to Multicast Destination Address

srowles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to translate a unicast destination address to a multicast destination address using NAT or perhaps "Multicast Service Reflection". Thanks.

7 Replies 7

ilya.varlashkin
Level 3
Level 3

Translating broadcast to multicast and reverse is possible. Would that help?

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I believe you can translate unicast to multicast. I know you can do it the other way, because it was included in one of the scenarios in the CiscoPress CCIE lab book. Try it, and let us know if it works.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin,

Could you please let us know how you could possibly do the conversion ?

cheers

arav

I'm not sure, but you could try something like this:

interface

desc The one where you want the multicast

ip nat inside

!

interface

desc The one where you want the unicast.

! The unicast address should be on this subnet

ip nat outside

!

ip nat inside source

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi and thanks for your comments. I'll hopefully be able to test this soon and will confirm the results.

In the mean time if anyone can confirm whether it is possible and the best way of doing it I'd appreciate it.

OK, I labbed it up, and it works. There's a couple of things you need to add though.

I forgot a keyword in the ip nat command. It should be ip nat inside source static .

Put ip nat outside on the interface that you want to receive the unicast, and ip nat inside on the interface you want to transmit the multicast, as I said before.

But the biggest thing I had to add was multicast routing to enable the multicast to go out the inside interface. So:

ip multicast-routing

!

interface e0/0.20

desc Interface that receives the unicast

ip address 141.11.20.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

ip pim dense-mode

!

interface e0/0.60

desc Interface that transmits the multicast

ip nat inside

ip pim dense-mode

!

ip nat inside source static 239.42.42.42 141.11.20.11

If I send a ping to 141.11.20.11 on e0/0.20, I get a ping to 239.42.42.42 out of e0/0.60.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin

Thank you for the response. It's certainly useful to know that this works using NAT. I'll hopefully be testing it myself too in the near future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card