Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Protocol 46

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

When a remote user try to FTP to your local server and the firewall logs shows IP Protocol 46....what's going on here? This is not a Cisco firewall, I just want a general comment as both remote and local firewall shows the same log :)

Thanks,

Dandy

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dandy

IP protocol 46 is for RSVP according to the IANA protocol listing. I am not sure why the remote user is using RSVP for FTP traffic but that is what the protocol number indicates. Is there any QOS configured such that the user would need to request bandwidth?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for replying, currently reviewing FTP basic operations :). I have not verified if there is QoS configuration in the remote site client or firewall (firewall is capable of QoS) - but thanks for the information, this gives me an idea to check it with the admin in the remote site.

I noticed from the FW log in the remote site (not managed by me) it shows the same IP Protocol 46 after showing two rules accepting the connections.

Thanks,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco