cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting to remote LAN that's 2 hops away

garyrivers
Level 1
Level 1

my company is connected a remote office that will be 2 hops away from the corp. office router. we already have a connection to the 1st hop via serial ports. but the last hop will be via wireless radios which isn't a big deal. my dilemma is WHERE to insert any config lines so that a PC at the main office can ping the remote office.

I have attached a visio diagram for reference.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gary

Yes that would be what I was looking to see. It should work fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gary

Assuming that KWCHRTR is your corp router, that KBSLRTR is the remote router, and that KBSHRTR is the first hop router, then you should be sure that KWCHRTR has a route for the user subnet at the remote (10.30.51.0/24) which has the first hop router as the next hop. You also need to be sure that the first hop router has a route for this subnet pointing to KBSLRTR as the next hop. If I interpret the drawing and your description correctly I believe that KBSLRTR can use just a default route pointing to the first hop route as its next hop. The next hop router will need to have a route for the subnet(s) of KWCHRTR (or perhaps its default route) which point to KWCHRTR as the next hop.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick, thanks for your help.

so the config lines should look like this:

KWCHRTR:

ip route 10.30.51.0/24 192.168.200.22

KBSHRTR:

ip route 10.30.51.0/24 10.30.12.10

KBSLRTR:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.30.12.2

Right?

Gary

What you have looks good. It does not address the question of KBSHRTR routes to KWCHRTR. I can not tell from the diagram whether a default route on KBSHRTR would be appropriate (pointing to KWCHRTR) or whether it needs static routes for subnets on KWCHRTR.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

the link between kwch and kbsh is active. if that's what you're asking. so we're really just going from kbsh to kbsl.

Gary

That is not what I am asking. What I am asking is what is there in the routing table that will point to kwch? Are there routes for the user subnet(s) or is there a default route that points to kwch as the next hop?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

oh, duh! sorry.

in the kbsh router we have a route that points to the kwch router.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.200.21

Gary

Yes that would be what I was looking to see. It should work fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card