cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa and asdm distinction- 7.0 to 8.0

tgurney
Level 1
Level 1

I just unboxed an asa 5520 and it has version 7.0.(6) on it. Figured I'd upgrade to start with. What is the difference between the asa and asdm codes on the box?

I'll be using this device for two purposes. 1. Terminate ipsec PtP tunnels from remote locations (our WAN backup). 2. Replace our 3000 series VPN concentrator for client VPN.

The ASA will be behind another physical firewall on a private network so there will be NAT on the outside firewall

Bonus points. In this config would it be better to use different physical interfaces for each function?

3 Replies 3

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

"What is the difference between the asa and asdm codes on the box?"

-Not really sure what you're asking...but with ASA version 8 you need to run asdm version 6.02.

"In this config would it be better to use different physical interfaces for each function?"

-There is no need to use separate interfaces for lan to lan and remote access vpns.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering mostly why two OS's on the box and what their functions are. Why is there an ASA and an ASDM?

Oh ok, ASDM stands for "Adaptive Security Device Manager". It is the GUI management utility for the ASA. You need a different version of the ASDM every time you install a new ASA IOS version.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card