cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 configure command does not seem to exist

Tunamurray
Level 1
Level 1

I have an AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9. Straight out of the box I thought it would have the GUI functional but this is not the case. I am brand new to Cisco products so it is taking me a while to get use to them and to TelNet but from what I have read in about 6 different manuals none have explained how I can access the configure terminal command when It doesn't show up. I am in privileged mode with access of:

AP001c.588e.a266#show privilege

Current privilege level is 15

Version is 12.3(7)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1). I haven't changed any settings except the ip settings and time and date.

AP001c.588e.a266# ? gives me

cd Change current directory

clear Reset functions

clock Manage the system clock

crypto Encryption related commands.

debug Debugging functions (see also 'undebug')

delete Delete a file

dir List files on a filesystem

disable Turn off privileged commands

enable Turn on privileged commands

exit Exit from the EXEC

fsck Fsck a filesystem

help Description of the interactive help system

led LED functions

lock Lock the terminal

login Log in as a particular user

logout Exit from the EXEC

lwapp lwapp exec commands

mkdir Create new directory

more Display the contents of a file

name-connection Name an existing network connection

no Disable debugging functions

ping Send echo messages

but no configure command

If I try to use the configure command I get

AP001c.588e.a266#configure terminal

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker

If it helps any if I use show configuration command:

startup-config is not present

If I can't get into global configuration mode I cant enable the GUI, turn on the wireless, or do much of anything else so I need some help.

Any would be appreciated,

Matt Brown

6 Replies 6

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

AIR-LAP is a lightweight AP meant for use with a WLC controller. You can convert it back to autonomous mode. Go to product downloads for the AP on the Cisco website.

jwadleigh
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco makes two different Access Point product lines, based on your architecture:

1.) Lightweight AP's require a Wireless LAN Controller in order to function. The command set available from the console is very limited. These AP's are designed to work in an environment where all configuration options (in some cases, with the exception of IP address) are managed centrally by the controller.

2.) Autonomous AP's are designed to operate as fully independent nodes on the network. They have a full IOS image on them, and are capable of being configured with all features and options via a command line or web interface.

And now for the bad news. You can differentiate between the two types of AP's by their part numbers as follows:

- Lightweight AP's: AIR-LAPxxxxXX-A-K9

- Autonomous AP's: AIR-APxxxxXX-A-K9

So, it seems that you have purchased a lightweight AP, when you need an autonomous one.

The most straightforward thing for you to do (since you are not very familiar with Cisco products) would be to try to return this AP for a comparable model with an autonomous IOS image on it. The Cisco reseller who sold you this AP should be able to help.

If that is not possible, or if you'd like to try to convert the AP yourself; all that is required is a software upgrade. (It's really not all that complicated.) Please see the 'Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode' section in the following guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html

Hope this helps!

After flashing it with the Autonomous firmware I was able to get it up and running.

Thanks for all the help,

Matt

Hi

I had an issue trying to get an AP to connect to my controller, the AP was getting an IP address but would not connect to the 4400 controller. In the end I ran this command from the AP which I was logged on to from the CLI

lwapp   controller      ip address  192.168.1.1    (whiche ever is the primary controller ip address)

As soon as I did this the AP downloaded the config and connected to the controller using a dhcp address, I was in the correct VLAN and the switch port was correctly configured but I could not see the AP on the controller and the AP wouldnt communicate with the controller.

Once the controller ads the AP you can specify a static address and changed the AP name easily enough usng the web portal.

Hope this helps anyone out there having the same issue.

I have the same problem with lap 1041
How CAN I flash it plz?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Youness,

Your WAP is running controller-based IOS.  You can convert this to autonomous IOS by following the following:

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: