cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog messages not making to server

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I have noticed that all my Cisco4500 have stopped logging to syslog server. It worked until couple weeks ago, we did change the management IP on them which I updated it but I still do not see anything in the syslog. I have automated action job set and I get nothing, when i view syslog_info no messages logged there either, I also checked dameons.log and dmgtd.log but nothing found, do you know where syslog messages would be going then and how to fix this? I'm on Solaris 10 with LMS2.6.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does "show logging" report "logging to [syslog-server-ip-addr]" on the 4500s?

Assuming you have root access on Solaris, does "snoop -v -s 514 -t a -d [interface-ciscoworks-listens-on] [one-of-the-4500-mgmt-ip-addrs]" show any traffic?

Since you're referring to dmgtd.log, I assume your syslog server is actually the CiscoWorks LMS server. In that case, are the 4500s still managed as "Normal Devices" in RME? Do they have the new/correct IP addrs in DCR? IME, RME doesn't report syslogs for devices it doesn't manage.

A relevant log to look at is SyslogCollector.log, particularly after enabling debug in /opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/csc/data/Collector.properties (and then restaring SyslogCollector).

BTW, I don't think LMS 2.6 is supported on Sol 10. Only LMS 3.0 is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: