cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

set up different bandwidth on LAN interfaces of router

minimintu
Level 1
Level 1

i have set up a small lab for testing optimization of certain applications...i have connected two routers with gigabit port to be utilized as WAN connections..since gigabit port supports 1000mbps, but i want to have only 1Mbps or 2 Mbps i.e less than 1000Mbps between both routers...means i want to make LAN port as WAN port..

how to achieve this bandwidth...kindly provide the configuration to achieve this..

3 Replies 3

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI,

Gigabit capacity of "1000mbps" is just the speed of the interface.

This "1000mbps" is not related to the Bandwidth incoming / outgoing.

Do provide more details on the same.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

u may change the bandwidth parameter on the interface by getting in to interface config mode & giving the command "bandwidth xyz" in kbps.

Pls note that the bandwidth command is used for metric calculations only, it doesnt change the interface performance.

Another alternative is, since u r plannig to simulate WAN on router interfaces. Simply vary the metric of interface to the respective routing protocol used, instead of varying BW.

If you want to restrict the fastethernet speed to say one or 2 mbps for your simulation, i would suggest you configure Policing or shaping

policy-map wan-restrict-out

class class-default

police CIR 200000 conform-action-transmit exceed-action -drop

interface fastether 0/1

service-policy output wan-restrict-out

configure this on both the sides and you should be good to go

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card