cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UPS recommended for Cat 6509

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi folks, I will install (2) Cat 6509 in a distribution room. Which type of UPS is recommended for this? I will have diesel generator available for the facility. I would like to confirm whether people install UPS for these even if you have diesel generator (I think so, but I want to confirm).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dholder
Level 1
Level 1

We have a UPS capacity issue, so I purchased the APC UPS #SURT5000RMXLT 3500W/5000VA. This allows my core to stay up for approx 60 mins until the motor generator kicks in. It is a little overkill, as the generator takes only about 90 seconds, but it works. What I did is connect one power supply to the APC UPS and the other to a motor generator circuit, so for the time it takes the motor generator to kick in I have power to the core. The reason for this is that the UPS can only have 1 power supply connected to it.

Has worked successfully serveral times so far.

Hope this helps.

Dave

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dholder
Level 1
Level 1

We have a UPS capacity issue, so I purchased the APC UPS #SURT5000RMXLT 3500W/5000VA. This allows my core to stay up for approx 60 mins until the motor generator kicks in. It is a little overkill, as the generator takes only about 90 seconds, but it works. What I did is connect one power supply to the APC UPS and the other to a motor generator circuit, so for the time it takes the motor generator to kick in I have power to the core. The reason for this is that the UPS can only have 1 power supply connected to it.

Has worked successfully serveral times so far.

Hope this helps.

Dave

It is good to always segregate your power inputs however, you may want to consider getting another UPS. The UPOS helps prevent spikes and cleaning the line top an extent. So 2 UPS, one connected fromt he generator would be the most ideal IMO.

dkorell
Level 1
Level 1

Using one APC Smart-UPS RT 3000 XL for each 6500. One power supply from the 6500 goes into the APC UPS and then into generator power outside of the data center. The other power supply goes into the data center PDU which goes into a big UPS which goes into generator power (same as above).

I learned the hard way not to have both power supplies going into the same source. Our data center UPS was being worked on and were switched to a mode that bypassed it. Well someone just happened to take out the power to the facility and didn't have anything to carry us over to generator power. Everything went down. We quickly decided to get the APC UPS's for a backup. We only need 10 seconds but currently have about 66 minutes of run time on one and 95 minutes on the other.

Dear,

I wonder how much capacity of UPS are prefer. Someone says less 1 Hr enough, another says over 8 Hr needed. Is there any practice or guideline ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card