cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA and FAX Machines

fsanchez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, We've a lot of problem with FAX machines connected to ATA devices. When the fax machines place a call (off-hook) to a external line (FXO connected to a PSTN) and then end (on-hook) it not release the call blocking the ATA and FXO, with supervisory disconnect configured in FXO solve the problem partially because in certain scenarios the lines connected not send dual tones.

Can help us, and tell why the ATA not release the call when the Fax machines goes on-hook?..

Call Manager 4.1(3)sr5b

ATA 186 SCCP11.8-2-2SR1S

C2851 IOS 12.4(12)

Thanks in advance,

11 Replies 11

Jon Nelson
Level 3
Level 3

I would recommend moving to an H323 image on the ATA's if you are going to use them for faxing. This seems to eliminate a lot of the issues with faxing on the ATA's. You can also move to an FXS port in the router as an alternative.

Thank you,

Jon

Jon was just faster than me in saying these two exact things... Good luck!

clarocque
Level 1
Level 1

Mr Sanchez,

The ATA 186 does not support T.38 fax realy, which is the protocol that should be used to make fax communication reliable over IP networks. I suggest you look into connecting your fax machines with an ATA that will support T.38 and setup your environment to transport T.38 over IP to your PSTN gateways. Products to look for Sagem Easy ATA.

Thanks to all for yours fast answers, let me tell first that the problem is in voice call too and we disable fax t.38 and modem passthrough in gateways for fax call, its appears like ATA is not know when the fax machine goes on-hook, we've Cordless Phone and it's seems to work fine. In other hand, if we move ATA to H.323 we believe that maybe could lost Call Pickup group, Hunt Group, it's correct?

Hi,

the firmware you have mentioned is not for ata, it's for a 7911.

Please verify that you have ATA030203SCCP051201A.ZUP as "load" for the ATA.

And yes, switching to H.323 would make you loose the ability to access service via FAC.

Yes, you right Paolo the version of ATA it's like you say.

Analog fax (T.30) is tricky at best. You might consider using a T.38 fax server software solution that could utilize your gateway(s) to send and receive faxes via IP to the gateway (as opposed to an analog codec) eliminating the need for ATA's altogether. I would be happy to provide additional information if needed.

Yes, we use a MMoIP Dial Peers on Cisco Gateway but only to receive faxes, to send it's more complex because the mostly time faxes that we sent are in paper and we needed to scan it first. The goal me be are that ATA support T.38, one assume that was created to connect fax machines.

Apparently all goes well but the ATA doesn't disconnects properly, seems a solvable problem.

Have you checked all the lines setting in the web or config file ?

All failing the problem should be give to the TAC. An FXS port must disconnect in any case, when the device goes on-hook.

Do you have MFD's with scan-to-email? You can use those to funnel faxes to an XMediusFAX server. This is a pure IP solution that woudl allow you to eliminate ATA's altogether. This also gives you an audit trail on all documents in and out of your organization. Plus, all documents can be archived or deleted based on regulatory need or internal policies (i.e. 30 days, 3 years, forever, etc.)

We do not use it, do you know ones that can recommends to us?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: