cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Positioning of GSS-4492R in the network

sudheer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with 6509 which contains ACE and FWSM.Now Iam planning to use a GSS(4492R) for load balancing between two lacations,but Iam bit doubtfull about the postioning of the devices in the network.So if somebody can help me,pls give a reply to the queries,

1.Where to postion this in the network?

2.Need to configure the GSS with a public IP address?

3.GSS is required in both the locations?

4.What changes required in firewall?

5.Any changes required in service provider DNS?

5 Replies 5

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

For every zone (meaning across cities) we can place a GSS. For more information take a look at the diagrams in the URL http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps4162/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00807e0a52.html#wp1181052

Thanks for the reply..

I have two sites and 4 GSS's in hand,my doubt is in each site whether I need to use one GSS for processing internal user requests and one for public(external)user requests seperately??

If Iam connecting one GSS in the public segment of the network in each site,how the redundancy will work?

Rgds

Sudheer

1.Where to postion this in the network?

If you have two data centers then one should be placed at each data center.Both GSSs should be delegated by the main DNS servers as the authoratative DNS servers for the desired domain.

2.Need to configure the GSS with a public IP address?

Yes. You configure GSS as an Authoratative DNS server for domains its serving.You will configure an NS record for domain it will server in main DSN Server, as a result DNS server will forward the interesting DNS requests to GSS to resolve the DNS requests.

InterGSS communications do not like adresses being translated. SOme of the packet between GSS carry the original IPs configured on GSS, as a result the receiving GSS attepts to reply to the GSS's original ip.

3.GSS is required in both the locations?

yes

4.What changes required in firewall?

There is a long list of ports used by Inter-GSS communications. You can get it at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/gss4400series/v1.2/administration/guide/ACLs.html

5.Any changes required in service provider DNS?

Make GSS authoratative for the domain it will serve at Main DNS.

Syed

Dear Syed,

Thanks for the Valuable info...

few more queries..

1.is it necessary to put seperate GSS for internal and external users?...like one connected to internet sement and other connected to inside segment.if it is required then how is the communication between the GSS's at each datacenter in the internet segment?

2.If I have 4 GSS(2 each at datacenters),how I can distribute this?..like GSSM standalone etc..

if u have any setup diagram and config samples,if possible pls share with me.

rgds

sudheer

Did you manage to get the answer?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: