cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS over frame relay

bradley.johnson
Level 1
Level 1

I am managing a medium to large frame-relay network consisting of mainly 64k lines to the remote nodes. I am using policy-maps, linked to class maps , linked to ACL's on the sub-interfafces, however I notice my predecessor have also attached ACL's both inbound and outbound for similar traffic on the main interfaces. Question ??? will the ACL's on the main interfaces override the policy map on the sub-interface?? please advise soonest....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not really...

The ACLs on the interface are really meant for allwoing a certain type of traffic while the QoS ACLS are referencing them to give treatment as per your defined policy

Narayan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

The IP ACLs will be applicable on the interface carrying the IP addresses which should be subinterfaces in your case

Narayan

Thanks for that, but how come I still get matches on the ACL at the main interface?

Can we see the configs

Narayan

Oops. the ACL's actually are both on the sub-interface, anyway have a look at the snapshot and tell please tell me if I remove the ACL's .

interface Serial2/3:30

description WCape Corp SomersetMall-51-02849-00

bandwidth 64

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

ip route-cache flow

load-interval 30

no arp frame-relay

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

frame-relay intf-type dce

end

Wcape_Kenil2#sh run int s2/3:30.1

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 266 bytes

!

interface Serial2/3:30.1 point-to-point

bandwidth 64

ip address 171.131.1.51 255.255.0.0

ip access-group pnp_all in

ip access-group pnp_all out

ip nbar protocol-discovery

no arp frame-relay

frame-relay class storesap

frame-relay interface-dlci 900

end

Wcape_Kenil2#sh poli

Wcape_Kenil2#sh policy-map storesap

Policy Map storesap

Class q1

Bandwidth 8 (kbps) Max Threshold 64 (packets)

Class q2

Bandwidth 8 (kbps) Max Threshold 64 (packets)

Class sap_qos

Bandwidth 30 (kbps) Max Threshold 512 (packets)

Class q3

Bandwidth 8 (kbps) Max Threshold 512 (packets)

Class q4

Bandwidth 8 (kbps) Max Threshold 512 (packets)

Class class-default

Flow based Fair Queueing

Bandwidth 0 (kbps)

exponential weight 9

class min-threshold max-threshold mark-probablity

----------------------------------------------------------

0 - - 1/10

1 - - 1/10

2 - - 1/10

3 - - 1/10

4 - - 1/10

5 - - 1/10

6 - - 1/10

7 - - 1/10

rsvp - - 1/10

If you are referring to the access-list pnp_all then it is not being used for the QoS but mostly being used to restrict traffic flow in and out of the interface.

If you remove the access-group statements, any traffic to the interface will not be matched against the access-list.

I think mostly the access-list is allowing only certain traffic to be sent or received on the interface

HTH

Narayan

Thanks, 1 last question:

1. the acl called pnp_all consist of 211 lines, most of the permits also live in the Qos ACL's ( Q1,Q2 etc),

My netflow graphs dont reflect the true construct of my QoS policy, could the cause be the ACL called pnp_all????

Not really...

The ACLs on the interface are really meant for allwoing a certain type of traffic while the QoS ACLS are referencing them to give treatment as per your defined policy

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card