Spannig Tree Portfast

Answered Question
Oct 24th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi All

Should I configure on the interfaces

spanning-tree portfast to hubs and switches when these are connected to our main switch?

Thanks

Correct Answer by ankbhasi about 9 years 8 months ago

Hi Friend,

Actually yes anything which can give an access and connection to multiple connections/nodes and then loop back to the same switch is a risk.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Correct Answer by glen.grant about 9 years 8 months ago

No you never enable portfast on links attached to other network devices , this is only used on client access ports. Network device links should have portfast turned "off".

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
glen.grant Wed, 10/24/2007 - 01:08
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

No you never enable portfast on links attached to other network devices , this is only used on client access ports. Network device links should have portfast turned "off".

qwertys21 Wed, 10/24/2007 - 01:40
User Badges:

Thanks Guys

Even if these hubs and switches are not intelligent and they are passive hubs and switches?.

Thanks

Correct Answer
ankbhasi Wed, 10/24/2007 - 01:46
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Friend,

Actually yes anything which can give an access and connection to multiple connections/nodes and then loop back to the same switch is a risk.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Francois Tallet Wed, 10/24/2007 - 07:20
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

I agree with all of the above. As usual, those are high level rules to avoid shooting yourself in the foot. The most important point is that there must be no loop introduced by the L2 device to which you're connecting your portfast port. In fact, I would not hesitate using portfast to a hub where only end stations are connected;-) (doing so to a switch would be much more controversial but potentially not impossible either).

Regards,

Francois

Actions

This Discussion