Helpful
Replies

Spannig Tree Portfast

qwertys21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Should I configure on the interfaces

spanning-tree portfast to hubs and switches when these are connected to our main switch?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you never enable portfast on links attached to other network devices , this is only used on client access ports. Network device links should have portfast turned "off".

View solution in original post

Hi Friend,

Actually yes anything which can give an access and connection to multiple connections/nodes and then loop back to the same switch is a risk.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you never enable portfast on links attached to other network devices , this is only used on client access ports. Network device links should have portfast turned "off".

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

It is never recommended and doing this you are risking a STP loop.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12240se/scg1/swstpopt.htm#wp1031116

HTH

Ankur

Thanks Guys

Even if these hubs and switches are not intelligent and they are passive hubs and switches?.

Thanks

Hi Friend,

Actually yes anything which can give an access and connection to multiple connections/nodes and then loop back to the same switch is a risk.

HTH

Ankur

I agree with all of the above. As usual, those are high level rules to avoid shooting yourself in the foot. The most important point is that there must be no loop introduced by the L2 device to which you're connecting your portfast port. In fact, I would not hesitate using portfast to a hub where only end stations are connected;-) (doing so to a switch would be much more controversial but potentially not impossible either).

Regards,

Francois

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card