cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set EIGRP interfaces as passive

jstrine
Level 1
Level 1

I want to enable "passive-interface default" on my EIGRP config and specify certain interfaces as "no passive" (presently they are all active). However, when I issue the "passive-interface default" all my interfaces go passive and I must at that time "no passive" the ones I want to work. Doing this remotely causes neighbors to drop and I loose connectivity.

What is the best way to accomplish this change without causing loss of connectivity?

I'm thinking that a "merge" file with "copy tftp run" may be what I need to do.

Thoughts or recommendations?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK, I tried out my scheme with the small configuration file in flash in my lab, and it worked fine. However, as I thought, it did temporarily lose the adjacencies between the passive-interface default and the no passive-interface commands. (I should mentioned that I had all my EIGRP timers trimed to the absolute minimum 'cos I was testing re-convergence at the time.) But it all came back OK.

Be aware that if you do it on a 2600, as I did, when you TFTP to flash it offers to erase the flash first, with a default of "Yes". Of course, you should say No!

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Dont know what will be the impact of that tftp show.

I would have configured each passive-interface separately. Later when a scheduled downtime is approved for the site, I would configure passive-interface default & later activate required interface.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

It is always a problem when you need to do a change involving multiple config lines, and some of the config lines lock you out of the session. I have developed a technique that I have used successfully:

Make a small file with the configuration changes. You must make sure this file is correct! Then TFTP the file to flash with copy tftp flash, giving it a suitable name. Then do a copy flash run and pray that you got the commands right. This will merge the commands from the flash file with the current running configuration.

I think you will still lose the adjacencies briefly, but they should come back.

OK, I tried out my scheme with the small configuration file in flash in my lab, and it worked fine. However, as I thought, it did temporarily lose the adjacencies between the passive-interface default and the no passive-interface commands. (I should mentioned that I had all my EIGRP timers trimed to the absolute minimum 'cos I was testing re-convergence at the time.) But it all came back OK.

Be aware that if you do it on a 2600, as I did, when you TFTP to flash it offers to erase the flash first, with a default of "Yes". Of course, you should say No!

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

if you do the following

no passive interface

passive-interface default

shivlu

I can't verify this for sure, but I seem to recall that doing the commands in that order would not work. Basically the "passive-interface default" would remove any of your "no passive-interface " statements.

I'd have to try it in the lab to be 100% certain though.

That is correct.

If it resolves the issue please rate me.

shivlu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card